21 October, 2009

Ondoy: Banaba Relief

The crowd there was quite unruly. They complained about not getting stubs for the relief goods, accusing us that we are favoring some over the others. They say that those who still have their homes got tickets instead of them who lost theirs.

Some men with tattoos even entered the van where the bags of relief goods were stacked. One even has a bolo on his waist. They probably would just want to help, hoping they will get relief goods even though they do not have tickets. But still, we got scared.

The women in our group already left the place and asked us men to take charge. We asked some older men there to help us pacify the jeering crowd and explain the situation, that we can only give goods to those who have stubs. They granted our request but still, the crowd was persistent, shouting and asking that we give them relief goods.

We left the place, giving them an empty promise – that we will go back again, that we will give them tickets for the relief goods. We have not gone back there.

But not everyone was rowdy. One woman approached me to beg for a stub, saying that her husband’s foot was pierced by a nail during the flood and her kids are all sick, and she herself has fever. How I wish I could help but I am not the one in charge of the tickets. If I give her money, the crowd would surely know and mob me.

Another young mother came and said that they just stay on the road side because the basketball court near them, which served as an evacuation center, was already full. She even asked me to go with her to see their condition. I need not go for I already believe her. I was choking with emotion the whole time.

And then a boy, about the same age as my son, called my attention by touching my shirt from my rear to ask, “Do you give relief bags only to those who have stubs? How can I get a stub?” I answered that somebody from our group has already distributed the stubs the day before and that we cannot give him relief goods if he doesn’t have a ticket. He kept on nudging me, following me anywhere I go.

Finally, he said, “If you cannot give me food, just adopt me. Adopt me. My family and I are suffering and starving.” I was startled, not knowing what to do and how to react. I just managed to say, “I really am sorry…”

How I wish I could do something for them. But the Lord, I know and I believe, see them and will look after them.

“For he will deliver the needy who cry out,
the afflicted who have no one to help.
He will take pity on the weak and the needy
and save the needy from death.”
- Psalm 72:12-13
(RPLAI Relief Goods Distribution, Brgy. Banaba, San Mateo Rizal)

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...