15 October, 2009

MRT

I rode the Metro Rail Transit with an officemate last night from Boni Station to Cubao. It was a nightmare!

There was a long queue of passengers. We waited for almost 15 minutes just to buy the tickets.

We tried to get through on the first train that arrived but we could not squeeze ourselves in. The next train came and still we could not get in.

The coaches were full of passengers, packed inside like sardines. We could see their compressed bodies and their grimaced faces as the train sped away.

We need to get home already so I resolved to get through on the next train. “Let me in!”, cried the people boarding. “Let us out first!”, pleaded the passengers getting out.

When we finally got inside, we felt our bodies being pressed. You could feel the weight of every one, from every side. You will have a hard time balancing yourself.

I could barely hold onto the handrail. My companion almost fainted due to the limited air inside, coupled with the odor of everyone. “Help!”

I remembered the ULTRA tragedy. The poor crowd who had gathered there must have felt this way.

And then I heard the recorded message announcing, “Arriving at Araneta-Center Cubao Station.”

Finally, we’re out! WE’RE OUT! “Thank you, Lord!”

I wish to spare my kids from experiencing that nightmare. I’ve been out of the jungle for almost 10 years now. I am really glad I did.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...