11 April, 2010

I'll Fight For You, Anak


“Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified;
Do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God
will be with you wherever you go.”
- Joshua 1:9

This past two weeks, my family went through some rough times. My eldest daughter has not been included in the honors roll during the pronouncement. She cried a bucket of tears, and so am I (secretly).

That day, I was in my Ate’s place in Valenzuela to attend the graduation of my dear nephew. I texted Grace, “’Musta?”. It took long before she texted back, “Wala eh.” I knew then what she meant. “Bakit daw?”, I asked. She no longer replied. I texted my wife, “Di raw kasama si Grace sa honors. Di puwede yun. Punta ako sa school bukas.”. And then I sent Grace a message, “We’re still behind you. Marami pang pagkakataon. But I’ll fight for you, Anak. ” How I longed to be there for my daughter, to console her…

I barely slept during the night. I kept on checking my watch if it is already dawn. I was silently crying for her, praying for the Lord’s intervention, praying for His will. I kept on thinking how I am going to present her case to the school authorities, how I could convince them not to deny the honors that is due to my daughter. ‘Til I felt that my head was already aching. I acknowledge then before God that I could not win this battle with wisdom nor with how gallantly I could present my points. It would all depend on the Lord. Finally, I said, “Lord, let your will be done.”

I left my sister’s house at 5 am. Before 7 am, I was already at our house. I checked on her, she was still asleep. I asked my wife how our daughter was last night. My wife said that she was crying when she arrived from school. She bought Grace’s favorite snack, Piatos, they talked and after awhile they watched “Diva” on TV.

I waited for her to get up. When I checked again on her, she was still lying on her bed, crying. I told her that we love her, that there are still other chances. She would not want me to go to school for she believes that it will just be a waste of time, that nothing will happen, that things won’t change. But I told her that I need to do it for I cannot allow anybody to hurt my child. I need to fight for what she has worked hard for.

I arrived at her school before 9 am. But then I was told that the proper authorities were not yet present. I was asked to go back in the afternoon so I went home. Grace’s eyes are still floppy from crying. She was just devastated. I consoled her, told her that the Lord allowed these things to happen for a purpose. I said that we just have to pray for God’s leading, that the Lord’s will shall prevail in the end. I was trying really hard not to break down in front of her.


I asked her to join me in our living room to eat. I joked around. We watched TV. I want to divert her thoughts. We watched Showtime and Diz Iz It. We enjoyed watching the contestants and hearing the funny comments of the judges. But what really made us laugh was when we watched Face to Face of Amy Perez in ABC5. The show broadcasted the fight of two neighbors. They were just hilarious. But deep inside me, I was thanking the Lord for I heard again the laughter of my dear daughter. It’s such a music to my ears. For awhile, we forgot our worries.

At 1 pm of the same day, I went back to school. I waited for almost three hours because the directress was not there yet. While waiting, I kept on praying for God’s intervention. Then, an earthquake struck. I prayed, “Lord, what does this mean? I acknowledge that You are alive, that You can do miracles, even for my child…”

Finally, I was lead to the Director’s Office, together with the adviser, the guidance counselor and the statistician. The directress explained the ruling of DepEd and she showed the computations. I told them that I understand them full well but I think what happened to my daughter was really not fair. I presented to them the issues which I believe they should have considered. They explained their side. I said that I appreciated their explanations and all but I told them that I am not satisfied. I asked them to give me the liberty to air my side and they said that they respect my right.

I told them that I am going to formalize my complaint and they acceded that I am entitled to it. The meeting went fine, no harsh words or yelling was exchanged. (Except for that moment when somebody from the group denied saying something to me about how some things are being done. I quoted what that person has said and has verified to strengthen my points. I was really pissed off that I blurted, “You’re lying po!” (At least I still used “po” out of respect.) I just could not stand those who lie just to “save face”. The Lord abhors false witnesses as Proverbs 14:25 warns, “A truthful witness saves lives, but he who utters lies is treacherous.”)

Before the group, and with my emotions already engulfing me, I told them, “Please do not think of my daughter as weak, that she could not accept failure. Yes, she has been crying over it but she is fine, she will be fine. Please do not think of me as someone who could not concede, a father who could not accept defeat for her daughter. I think that as a father, it is my rightful duty to defend the cause of my child, to fight for what is due to my daughter.”

When I arrived home from school, I gathered all my children and my wife. I told them how the meeting progressed and the discussions made. That time, I was no longer able to control my emotions. I cried in front of them (I think it’s the first time that they have seen me in tears). I just pity my child for such an injustice. She was still too young to experience such pain. But I told them that the Lord is in control. We just have to trust Him.


I prepared the letter and went to the school the following Monday. Excerpts are as follows:

“I am formalizing herewith the complaint I raised on the non-inclusion of my daughter in the list of honor students for the SY#2009-2010, as announced during the pronouncement program last March 24, 2010.

My daughter has been consistent in being one of the top students in her class during the last 4 grading periods. She has ranked 3rd in the academics at the end of the school year, a feat that we do believe rightfully deserves recognition. And yet, just because she has not “excelled” in the extracurricular activities, the honor that is due her shall be denied...

(details withheld)

I fully understand the guidelines set by DepEd, the 7 – 3 point scheme. But I think the school could have exercised some discretion and consideration in granting the honors, considering how it will affect the standing of the deserving students, giving more weight on their academic prowess over the “extra” curricular activities.

I am making an appeal that you consider the matters I have mentioned above, that you review the selection process made for the honors roll, that you verify the biases committed; I am making an appeal, as a father who has seen how his daughter worked hard to earn the recognition. Do not let her efforts be laid to waste; I am making an appeal, for my daughter who has been devastated by the announcement, that you do not snatch away the honors that is due her.”

But the school was closed because it’s holiday, it’s Holy Week. The guard told me to just go back next Monday. (Little did I know that the directress was already considering the issues I have pointed and was already having meetings with the faculty and the higher authorities of the school.)

The ordeal was just too much and too long. I had sleepness nights. Lying on our bed, I just stare up and pray to God, begging Him to turn the situation on our favor.

That much-awaited Monday for me to go back to school came, finally! With the complaint letter in hand, I went up the office of the director and handed it to the secretary. (I learned later that the directress and the rest of the group were already deliberating that very moment regarding the plight of my dear Lily Grace.) And so I left, praying that the Lord will do a miracle.

At around 3 pm of the same day, I received a phone call at work from the directress. She requested that I go to her office the following morning, and bring along my daughter, if possible, so we can resolve the problem. The directress was very composed. I could not get a hint whether they have considered my appeal or not. But I was at peace, believing that the Lord was working out things for us.


When I reached home in the evening, I told my daughter that we have been requested to meet the school director the next morning. She cried again. I told her that I am doing this, fighting for her sake, not because I wanted recognition for my name’s sake. I just love her, very much. I told her that this would be the last, that we will accept the decision of the school as the will of the Lord.

After having our dinner, we had our devotion in the book of Samuel. We remembered the character of David who weeps and mourns (for the death of his firstborn with Bathsheba, for the death of King Saul, and for the death of his son Abasalom). But after awhile, he gets up, fixes himself and assumes his post as king. I said to my family, “Just like David, let us grieve, for awhile. And then, let’s move on!” And then we prayed for God’s hand on the difficult situation we have at hand.

Morning came. Before leaving the house, we prayed, “Lord, may your will be done.” I gave Grace a handkerchief, telling her that she will be needing it later. She cried again, with a smile on her face. I was just joking. I only wanted to lighten-up things. Yes, I was also nervous. But I have peace, for I prayed the other night, until the wee hours in the morning, for God’s intervention.


Upon arriving at the school gate, we heard the graduation music playing and we noticed that there were students inside. The graduating class and the honor students were practicing. “Oh no! I have to spare my daughter from this!” I asked her, “Would you like to go home?” She was crying, she could not stand the sight. And so I sent her home.

When I got inside the school grounds, the directress saw me and led me to her office upstairs. Inside, she articulated that they have considered the issues I have mentioned, during our initial meeting and in the letter I have submitted. She said that they acknowledge and accept the points I have stressed out and she even offered an apology for what they have overlooked. And then, she said, “I met with the advisers and with the officials. The scholarship committee has deliberated and recomputed the scores of the students. Your daughter emerged as the Top 5 in her level.“

Really! I could not believe it! I thanked the school director for the news. After thirteen grueling days of headache and tears, of pleading God for grace and mercy, it is finished! Deep inside me, I was worshipping God for his intervention, for allowing me to win this battle, for considering me still worthy of his blessings.


That afternoon, my daughter was asked to go back for the special pronouncement and for practice. I was there to support her. Last Saturday, April 10, 2010, I was also with her to witness the awarding of her medal, during the graduation and recognition ceremony. A lot of people clapped their hands when she and I walked up the stage. I wonder why. I hope they saw in us the great love of a father to his beloved daughter, who really fought hard for what he believed was right. I hope they also realized how faithful the Lord is, to those who seek and run to Him for comfort.

“The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still."
– Exodus 14:14


Baruch Hashem (Blessed be the name of the Lord)!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

naiyak ako.. ganon pala ang mga magulang sa mga anak.. nagkaron din ako ng glimpse kung gano ako kamahal ni LORD.. Sya ang makikipaglaban para sa kin.. :)

Anonymous said...

Glad to know everything went out well. Congratulations.

I hope you will not have this "scenario" next school year..huh!. Just let your daughter join whatever the school likes her to get involved with. I don't want you be tagged as "stage father" or should I say "drama king"..hehehe..(just teasing)

Anyway, in life, we really have to stand up what is right no matter what the consequences you're heading for.

Danny

Pedo said...

Salamat, Anonymous. Hindi lang tayo "mahal" ng Panginoon kundi "pinakamamahal" (beloved). Tunay na ipaglalaban Niya tayo. Pasyalan mo akong muli dito. Sabay tayong maglakbay.

Pedo said...

Thanks, Danny. I'll take your advice.

Geraldine said...

Congrats to Grace and to her parents! When God moves, who can be against Him?... When I was in Grade 6, my father fought for me, too, against a biased Adviser who even denied that I passed an entrance exam to QueScie. But God has a way.. our neighbor who was a student of that school revealed the truth that I passed... When God moves, no one can stop Him from bringing one to the path that He wants one to take... His will prevails in the end.

Pedo said...

Thanks, Dheen, for sharing your thoughts and your experience. The Lord is really in control of everything.

Anonymous said...

Sir proud po kame sa laht ng ginawa nio po laban for ur child. Honestly naiiyak po ako sa mga sinulat nio po. Proud din kame kay grace kaya po nagprint po ako ng copy para mapabasa ko po sa mga tao d2 s school. wala po kasi akong knowledge sa nangyari. As i read ur post i was so amaze with u. Proud po ang Christian Care Academy at napabilang po ang inyong anak sa amin. God bless po. - Teacher M

Pedo said...

Salamat, Teacher M. God bless you po.

Anonymous said...

Ang haba he he, pero tinapos ko basahin lahat.

Many sorrows shall be to the wicked: but he that trusteth in the Lord, mercy shall compass him about.
Psalm 32:10

-allen

Anonymous said...

Sobrang naiyak ako... How I missed my parents..

Your family will forever be blessed because you are their FATHER..

Congratulations to Lily Grace!

Diane

Pedo said...

Allen, salamat sa pagpaparamdam. Update mo rin ako sa mga nangyayari sa iyo diyan.

Pedo said...

Diane, I was delighted to hear from you. We miss your company. Musta ka na?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...